May the 4ths be with you

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:24:19 -0400

At 11:40 PM -0500 8/24/02, Richard Moody wrote:
>     I wonder if someone can offer mp3 samples (legally of course)
>as tests?   ---ric
  It won't work. The internet isn't ready for it. I have a 4 minute
music audio file, which is 41.5MB in originl form. As an .mp3, it
weighs in at a trifling 4.6MB. But that by itself is far too large a
package to send through the email system. You can of course segment
the files, and attach the pieces to a series of emails , or just send
the whole bunch through on one. Actually to someone with a  56K
modem, the file is so slow to download that there really is no
convenient way to do this.

Such files (any thing larger than 500K) are best transferred from a
web page directory. A directory full of .mp3's would be an obvious
place for roaming copyrght attorneys.

No, the world isn't ready to be tossing "CD-quality" digital audio
files all over the place.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Out here on the food chain, you either