Mute Rails

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:09:25 -0500

>A customer wishes a mute rail installed. I've done the standard
>"rinky-tink" type that Schaff stocks. Anyone have experience with
>the type Pianotek sells? It attaches to 2 tuning pins.
>Philip Jamison Pianos
>West Chester, PA

Philip, List,

I have had excellent results customizing my own out of 1/2" aluminum
stock (hardware store), thin white muting felt (piano supply house)
and an automobile choke cable kit (need I say where to purchase  :-).

Since each piano requires its own configuration, certain action and
inner case measurements must be taken. After that, a little bending
(vise & hammer), cutting (hacksaw) and gluing the felt to the rail,
you can position the finished product in the most ideal location
(very close to the strings when down, & clearing the hammers when up).

Then by drilling two holes to mount the aluminum rail on the sides of
the piano cabinet with screws and shims (sometimes needed), you will
achieve great muting capabilities and hardly notice it at all when it
comes to touch.

About the only side effects are the felt will sometimes brush up
against the neighbor notes (in the down position) producing a very
minor inharmony (it's actually an endearing sound to my ears). But
hey, what the heck, I'll guarantee you'll never try the commercial
products again once you have success in making your own.

If you're not up for the task of creation, the one that mounts on 2
tuning pinsz will work.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician