May the 4ths be with you

Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:50:27 +0200

Richard Moody wrote:

> I the Ih graphs look wonderful.   The beat rate graphs, I would
> rather see in spread sheets.

I can certainly send you those. But they are to be found in the July
1978 issue of the Journal.

> I suppose one wonders what is the
> point of such data and its graphical representation.  To prove
> there can not be beatless 4:2 and 2:1 and 6: 3  all in the same
> piano?

Well, tho it does exactly that, I think it also is very instructive as
to how tuners go about creating the illusion of beatlessness you
mention below. And also instructive as to some of the problems we need
to overcome to do that.  For many, this kind of information, and
working ones way through it can be very helpfull. Then too, without
this kind of knowledge the SAT, and RCT could not have been invented.

> Well that is exactly the task of the piano tuner.   To
> produce all the intervals as close as possible to theoretical.
> So do you trust your ears or be swayed by a graph ?

You do both. And I mean both. Many ETD users make the mistake of being
too "swayed by the graph" as it were. And on the other hand,  most
every ear tuner I ever met could benifit from a healthy dose of "graph
swaying" if you get my meaning.

>     For me the 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1, 6:1 should all conform as close
> as possible to theoretical.  That the 2:1, 4:2, 6:3 should be
> beatless. For those who say it is not possible, that is true for
> them.

As long as one is talking isolated coincident partials.... its true
for everyone, fact of life... what can I say... the sun will burn you
if you get to close to it..... THAT being said... what you say below
is also true and is the whole point of our tuning adventure. If the
illusion is good enough... then in a very important sense,  the
octaves are beatless.

And regardless of how we tread that path to knowledge..... we still
have lots of reason to compare notes and offer each other what we can
and what we are in the endeavour to improve, and that so in all
humbleness.

> But for those who say, "I can offer for your ears a good
> illusion of beatless", then we have a lot of notes to compare and
> really need to get together from time to time to keep our skills
> intact and keep improving.    ---ric

Cheers

RicB

--