Hygrometer

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:42:13 -0400

Dale wrote:

> Remember the conditions which many soundboard were pressed up in the
> Piano factories on the East coast were archaic at best. The zero EMC in the
> winter and 80% with high temps in the summer. In your worst day in your shop
> you'll all do better than that.

This is one thing that has always struck me. I'm sure your statement is correct. I am also sure that some new pianos are nice pianos, and some of the same model are not so nice. High-end Brand X piano manufacturer I think can get away with having only a percentage of their pianos come out nice. Most/many folks that buy pianos - even high end ones - don't know that much about pianos and/or don't play very well, and can't tell the difference between a really nice piano, and one that is below par.

We, as rebuilders rebuilding a clients ONLY piano - we have to have EVERY piano come out very nice. Certainly at a minimum our worst must be average. I think this is a good basis for us needing better building methods than what the factories use.

Just a thought to chew on.

Terry Farrell