Potential Customers

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:41:15 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/02 4:54:58 PM !!!First Boot!!!, mathstar@salemnet.com
writes:

> Telephone call: "How much do you charge to tune a piano?"
>
> 1. If it is obvious from the conversation that a pitch raise or other work
> will be needed, do you talk about charges beyond the standard tuning?
>
> 2. If you have a reeeeally incompetent bozo 'tooner' in the area (armed
> with a tuning hammer and electronic guitar tuner and literally does not
> know the meaning of the terms temperament, tempered tuning, inharmonicity,
> etc.) do you try in any way to steer the caller away from that person?
>
> 3. What "techniques" do you use to try and secure the business?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan R. Barnard

Alan
I answer the question. I don't worry about what the customer is going to do
with the information. If they are price shopping, they will get what they
want. It's not my problem that there is someone out there charging half price
for doing cruddy work. That's the customer's problem. If they can't tell the
difference, they'll never call me back. Eventually, however, if they do know
the difference, they'll call and ask me to tuner their piano, regardless of
how much it cost.

Just keep doing the best job you know how, and give the customer the
information they request. Pretty soon you won't have to worry about the other
"tooner" in town, because he'll have moved on to doing other things, like
pumping gas, or mowing lawns.

Wim