Internet Piano Purchase

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:35:44 EST

In a message dated 12/9/02 2:19:22 PM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> So what on earth is one to do contract-wise? When I buy an old car or piano
> face-to-face, you can make the $ and contract exchange at the same time.
> How does one handle this long distance? Thanks for any scholarly (or not so
> scholarly) advice.
>
> Terry Farrell

First of all, you have to remember that any contract between any two
individuals is legal, as long as both of you agree on the content of the
contract. The problem arises, and this is where lawyers make their money, is
on the interpretation of the contract if one of the parties thinks the
language is not what he thought it was.

So, keeping that in mind, the best way to handle this is for the seller to
give you a contract saying you are buying the piano for X number of dollars,
with a $500 deposit, and the balance due upon delivery. You might want to
include that you have the right to decline the contract, and give this guy
his money back, if you don't think he sold you what you thought you were
buying. The seller, on the other hand, will probably want some sort of
compensation for moving the piano down to you.

As I said, any agreement between the two of you needs to put down in writing,
so that there is no misunderstanding. And even then, there is a chance
something will come up that neither one of you thought about.

One last thing I though of, is that you want to post date your check until
after his arrival. This way, if he doesn't show up, or if he has an accident,
you can stop payment on the check.

Wim