Non-smelly Hammer Juice

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:44:58 -0800

At 11:54 AM 12/11/2002 -0500, Ken wrote:
>How about alcohol and shellac flakes, I'm sure it would be the least
>offensive, but does it work?  Susan Kline? Tell us about it.

I haven't done a set of grand hammers from scratch, just a set of upright
hammers. I've used it now and then (from a dropper bottle) to add some
brightness, by laying a couple of drops right behind the strike area. It
brightens a little more than I like if I use it in the strike lines, but it
does needle down pretty well. Very non-toxic, which of course is what
attracted me. Also, shellac has a pleasant habit of shattering with heavy
use, instead of getting harder and harder. It doesn't have quite the edgy
shattering-glass sound of keytop. If made up with 190 proof alcohol and
kept in a well-sealed container, shellac dries very fast once applied. I
use a fairly dilute "cut", which I never have bothered to measure.

And shellac very compatible with "vodka" if one needs to soften it, since
it dissolves readily in alcohol.

Try it -- tell me what you think.

Susan