1906 Steinway Upright

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:34:35 -0500

At 10:02 PM -0600 12/10/02, <tune4u@earthlink.net> wrote:
>2.  Is there any reasonable way to remove a Steinway double flange
>assembly, hammer, and butt without disassembling the whole action?

The whips certainly wouldn't need to come off just to extract a
double (or set of 88 thereof). The spring rail might look as if it's
in the way, but as long as both the damper levers and hammer butts
are pinned with brass plates, it's not.

Must be you're thinking of replacing the double flanges, and not much
else. Seems to me the subject came up here recently.

>3. I love the little "C" shaped spoons that curve around the wippen
>flange screw!

What I love about them is that if you spoon bender catches the spoons
up in that semicircle part in stead of the vertical base, the spoon
simply rotates instead or bending. I look forward to hearing you vent
steam during the course of your involvement with the action. <g>
(Then of course there are the solid wooden spoons of 20 years
earlier.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."