Sarahs Wissner Questions

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 09:54:53 EST

In a message dated 12/13/2002 12:55:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hufford1@airmail.net writes:

> Subj: Re: Off list: Re: S&S D Duplex
>  Date: 12/13/2002 12:55:37 AM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:hufford1@airmail.net">hufford1@airmail.net</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>.obin

                   Hi Sarah
                    I was just catching up on some old mail and found this.
As to your question as to wether the Wissner is a direct Stwy clone of 1933
vintage I wanted to point out 1933 vintage Stwy D's had uneven speaking
lengths in the first capo section and , yes uneven duplex speaking lengths as
well. Baldwin also did this at the same time in history but both derivations
were obviously dicontinued for some reason.
          From conversations with others the idea was to create a different
tone color but itconsequently sacrificed power. On the S&S D I'm currently
installing a new belly system and decided to change it back to even lengths
as most Ds end up in large venues that require power. I was curious since
Wissners are varitible clones if yours had this feature? Also ,not having had
the pleasure of seeing any of these pianos here on the west coast , does it
really sound like a S&S D or close? I wonder if Wissner was sued or bought
out. Steinerts are a fairly close clone as well ,both physically and tonally
although not the same wire scaling or action design as they had Wessel
,Nickel and Gross actions.
   Peace to you as well
      Dale Erwin