Newer Chickering/Self Player

Bigeartb@aol.com Bigeartb@aol.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:09:03 EST

List;
     Not sure if I presented this last problem I encounter a few days
ago.....If so, no response--yet.
     Received call to tune late model Chickering, Self Player, Grand, maybe
less than 6 to  7 years old...They said a glass of wine had spilled into the
bass section...Problem---all, yes all the bass strings 'buzz'. Even the ones
without wine contamination....
     I loosened and removed the worst buzzing string from the hitch
pin....identical to the Baldwin Acu touch----Acu whatever---you know what
they look like, adjustable------the string had no twist as it was placed on
the hitch pin. I twisted it one full turn, replaced it , tuned it and it was
clear as a bell.
     Question: I wonder if I twist all the bass strings and tune, this will
solve the problem for ever more? I wonder what can be done about the wine
contamination, sugar,  on the strings? Should I just replace the entire set
of bass strings?

Thanks for your help
Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.