Humidity Quick Zap

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:24:15 -0800

> At 5:56 AM -0800 12/14/02, Keith Roberts wrote:
> >The analogy I heard about felt was that it is similar to Chinese
handcuffs.
> >You know, the braided tube you put your fingers in and they can't back
out.
> >The wool fibers are the same way. Once interlocked, movement will cause
the
> >fibers to tighten. *Swelling and shrinking (from moisture changes)
> >constitutes movement.*
>
> I'll agree that the fiber platelets' interlocking process is  primarily
one-way. It's a mechanical matter.
> The behavior of Chinese handcuffs is well understood. However the
> finger's motion is axial not rotational. Not only is the centerpin's
> motion rotational,, but it's net is always zero (shanks starts at the
> rest rail and returns there).

You missed the point. Moisture causes the movement of the felt by swelling
and shrinking. Change in pressure also occurs which forces the fibers to
tighten. Upon drying the fibers stay tightened and the shrinkage pulls the
felt into a denser mass. This reduces the pressure on the centerpin, freeing
it up. You don't have to move the centerpin for the alcohol/water treatment
to work.
> >The other statement I heard and haven't been able to elicit an
explanation
> >to clarify, was, *Alcohol changes the chemical make-up of the felt.*
>
> I'd be surprised to find that out.

If oil is washed out by the alcohol, I consider that a change in chemical
make-up.

> David Stanwood and his wife have actually owned sheep. He's got
> plenty of "vertically oriented" knowledge.

That 's the guy (Stanwood), that I think i heard the Chinese handcuff
anaolgy from. At the National two years ago. He had slides of felt taken
with an electron microscope. It was sort of an OT during his touchweight
design class.

> I'm overdue on my morning oatmeal.
>
> Bill Ballard RPT
> NH Chapter, P.T.G.

I'm just getting to my third cup of coffee
Quite the storm ripping in here.
I best prepare for the power going down.

Keith R
Murphys, Ca. "Queen of the Sierra"
Modesto  Chapter,  PTG