Humidity Quick Zap

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:59:30 -0500

At 8:24 AM -0800 12/14/02, Keith Roberts wrote:
>You missed the point. Moisture causes the movement of the felt by swelling
>and shrinking. Change in pressure also occurs which forces the fibers to
>tighten. Upon drying the fibers stay tightened and the shrinkage pulls the
>felt into a denser mass. This reduces the pressure on the centerpin, freeing
>it up. You don't have to move the centerpin for the alcohol/water treatment
>to work.

We may be making two separate points. My point was that while Chinese
handcuffs are a great way to demonstrate the tightening of a sleeve
around a rod, when the sleeve is an action bushing and the rod is a
rotating pivot, it's a horse of a different fedora. We've both given
nearly identical descriptions of the alc/H2O process.

>If oil is washed out by the alcohol, I consider that a change in chemical
>make-up.

It hadn't occurred to me that an oil coating on the fiber could be
considered part of the "the (inherent, sic.) chemical make-up of the
felt".

>Quite the storm ripping in here.
>I best prepare for the power going down.

Is that a sandstorm or a monsoon. We had 6" of heavy wet snow on
Thursday, but no downed tree limbs.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles
to that perfection during the building."
     ...........LaRoy Edwards, Yamaha International Corp