New Tuner

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:49:23 -0700

Hi Tom-----Welcome to the list.  For what it's worth, I'm an aural
tuner---have never used a machine, and before i started posting here, was
very prejudiced against their use.  Now I'm much more accepting of their
value as a stress reducer and teaching device, but I still feel they can
be dangerous to the growth of the heart of our craft----the ability to
use your ears and body as a highly developed feedback loop. My advice is
this: honor your ears; trust your ears; learn to tune a piano WELL with
your ears; use an ETD to check your work or learn what you're doing right
or wrong----but the best  tools you have are covered by skin, and powered
by blood and mystery ......David Andersen