Hearing the difference

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:52:58 -0600

After reading this 12-kbyte conversation, I have to ask Ric; in
saying no one can tell the difference between a WT and ET, how do you
mean that?  Do you mean a technician can't tell by playing a few
chords on the piano, or can't tell by listening to someone else play
something fast?

If someone is just playing a fast scherzo with no sustained chords,
it is difficult to tell an immediate difference, but if there are any
sustained chords it becomes obvious.  A C-major triad in a Young is
quite different from ET and obvious if it is sustained any time at
all.  When I listened to the 2nd movement of the Pathetique on Ed's
Temperament CD it was so obvious I couldn't continue listening.  As
an ET lover personally, I've not listened to the entire movement.
That's because my ear/brain have been forever altered by 63 years of
listening to ET.

I'll promote WTs anywhere I can for those commercial reasons Ed has
mentioned.  While I, personally, still prefer ET on my piano, I will
gladly tune any of the 77 non-ET tunings I have on my hard drive for
a customer. And I can certainly tell the difference.

dave