Aural versus ETD tuning training

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:27:32 -0500

At 12:21 AM -0700 12/28/02, David Andersen wrote:
>Exactly.  There's always the gifted exception.

At which point , I'll remove the soft leather, eye-friendly cap on
the point I was making. (My mom always told me to be deferential to
the venerable.)

One positive instance will disprove a negative, as Jim's student has
done here. But it takes more than a single positive to establish a
fact, in fact as many positive instances as it will take to satisfy a
statistician. For the time being, we've got one shining exception and
then the Lenny Bruce quip, ".......true more in general than
specifically".

It is interesting to note that Jim started his student off with aural
unisons, and after ETD-based progress in octaves and temperaments
(sufficient to to concert-level work), he then returns his student to
an aural temperament. Yes, Jim has given us an example of a student
whose training was evenly balanced between aural and visual
judgements. But the part of this example which should not be
overlooked is the teacher of sterling aural skills, coming up in a
generation before the only ETDs were the Strobo-Conn, and for whom
aural tuning likely still represents the highest challenge which can
be put to a tuner.

We can add to this, those tuners on this list who have said that they
started out tuning with ETDs and later have seen and accepted the
challenge of aural tuning.

How this list stacks up against all those ETD tuners who, having
gotten enough of a start to be able to sell tunings, have seen no
reason to explore what their ears are capable of, is another matter.
This (probably larger) list would be the electronic-equivalent of
RicB's "...aural tuners [who] got as far as passing some exam and
then seemingly put the steam breaks on their learning curves."

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music