[OT]Dem ears versus ETD

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:23:21 +0100

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> In message <3E0FB8AE.A58E4CEA@grieg.uib.no>, Richard Brekne
> <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> writes
> >I dont think the EPTA has in mind that the EEC should declare ET as a
> >standard tuning for peoples homes or concert venues.... actually, I think that
> >the EPTA is very interested in nurturing the temperament movement, as it
> >really represents an expansion of tuning skills.
>
> No according to the  last PTA magazine December
>
> Page 13 "With out these Qualifications work in members countries would
> not be possible"    That is the undying agenda it would seem by some of
> the EPTA members.   All good fun what.

Hmm... well the quote you give refers to Qualifications... and I aggree
that a tuner should be able to execute an ET tuning. I dont see that the
quote you give speaks to defining ET as the "State Church" of tunings if
you get my meaning. Still, you give a limited quote from the English
national organizations member journal. And like I said, I know a couple
fellows who are very much involved in the EuroPiano organizations
efforts in this regard. I will fire off a letter to them to be sure, but
I doubt seriously they are interested in trying to establish some law
that governs what kind of tunings are allowed out in the wide European
every day world. I mean... what would the point be ? And how on earth
would they be able to control things ? And what would they do to a
"criminal tuner" ????.... nahh.... just doesnt wash me thinks Barrie.
But I give you the benifit of the doubt and will ask around a bit.

Happy New Year to you as well

RicB