Schimmel voicing

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 19:53:01 -0600

>...Later on it sounded like I wanted it to, and eventually returned to its
>original sound.  Is this the only way to voice a piano?...Any ideas are
>more than welcome ! Thanks, Harry (new member)

Harry, List,

The hammers could be filed to remove some of the felt.

However, the liquid plastic that was injected was probably not a sufficient
percentage ratio, and rightly so, for an initial voicing to get an idea of
what the outcome would be.

More plastic to acetone ratio will definitely bring it up bright and keep
it up, if that is what you want.  And if for some reason that doesn't last,
which I can't imagine, you can combine the hardner mix on filed hammers.
Double whammy!

Eventually, you will arrive with bright sounding hammers.  If all these
measures are done, the only thing you won't be able to accomplish, having
it ever be the original sound you mention.

Cheers,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731