loose pin & dead bass questions...

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:14:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone.

I'm still in VA.  I just tuned a friend's piano today.
 It's a Gulbransen Console serial #600252, approx
40-42" tall.  The piano was 50 cents flat, so I took 2
passes, overpulling it to about 15-20 cents sharp on
the first pass, then fine tuning it on the second
pass.  Here's the loose pin question:  The right
tuning pin on high A (A-7 / A-85) was quite loose.  It
wouldn't necessarily pop out as soon as I let go, but
it was way looser than the rest of the pins in the
piano, like with the same effort that I would get a
normal pin in the piano to change 20 cents, this pin
would change a major third or so.  What do you do
about this situation?  I don't have any spare pins or
pin tightener or anything like that with me.  Oh, one
other thing -- when I opened the lid on the
Gulbransen, I noticed (I think that's the pinblock on
top cause I saw a few layers of wood that were
different colors near the tuning pins) that there are
a couple cracks in the middle of the top of the
pinblock, and a quite wide one (big enough to stick a
thin bass string through) at the treble end toward the
back.  They were a good inch and a half to two inches
behind the laminations.  Is this anything to be
concerned about, or do pinblock cracks only affect
tuning stability when they're closer to the pins?

Now, for the dead bass question.  Another friend has a
$200 Kawai Grand (5'8" or something like that --
26-note bass with 10 monochords, 16 bichords on bass
bridge) with a dead bass section.  This piano had
apparently been in a fire.  What would you do with the
beast, short of restringing (which it definitely
needs) or junking the piano?  Would twisting and
cleaning the bass strings work, or do you think it
should have a new bass bridge and/or soundboard,
neither of which looked cracked to me?