Epoxy

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:36:10 -0500

Hi Del. What adhesive do you use to glue up laminations for bridge caps. =
Do you also make vertically laminated bridges? What adhesive there? And =
finally, regarding graphite on bridges - do you put anything at all on =
the bridge top? Do you just leave the wood (maple?) bare? Thanks.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 1:24 AM
  Subject: Re: Epoxy

  The SystemThree Clear Coat epoxy is about as good as 'regular' epoxy =
in terms of crack filling. Because it is so thin it penetrates into the =
wood surface considerably more than thicker epoxies. If you're trying to =
fill small cracks around bridge pins you'll need to go back over them =
frequently as it soaks in. The stuff has a really long working life if =
you don't mix overly much so this isn't all that much a problem.

  We've been making laminated caps for most of our bridge work of late =
and have been using the stuff to seal the notches where the end grain =
shows up. Probably overkill, but it really does soak in a lot.

  Most of the time we still graphite bridges as a matter of customer =
preference. On our own pianos we do not. I fail to see the point of it.

  Del