Separated pinblock repair

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 07:28:43 -0500

Tommy,

If you remove the clamps before the glue even has time to harden, then
it's appears that you aren't counting on the glue to do any of the
work.  Why use it?

I've done maybe a half dozen of these jobs, and none of them have
failed, either.  I had no knowledge on what to do when I came across the
first one, so I tried glue and pulled it together the best I could with
large screws from the back.  No clamps.  It's still holding, but I'm not
proud of that job.

On one I did nothing more than fill the small crack with epoxy as was
recommended by the service technician from the piano manufacturer for
whom I was doing the warranty work.  That is holding, too, and since it
was one of those verticals that has felt on top of the pinblock,  you
would never know it was ever repaired (except that I never glued the
felt on so I could keep an eye on it).

For all others I do basically the same as you do, without letting down
the tension, except I use epoxy instead of Titebond, larger diameter
bolts, and I don't remove the clamps until a couple days later.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA

P.S.  I'll be going through Birmingham next week, but since I'll be on a
chartered bus I won't be able to stop.