Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 17:31:53 +0100

Been reading through all the posts again and again on this subject matter and one
thing keeps coming through loud and clear. And this was echoed by the response I
got when I put the matter simply stated to that online "ask a physicist" web
site.

Let me illustrate. Through the whole of it we ended up with both side allowing
each other basically one concession. In both cases these were relegated to the
status of insignificance. On the one hand it was recognized that the bridge does
indeed get moved physically up and down to some degree by the strings and this to
some degrees moves the soundboard. On the other hand it was also conceeded that
completely immobilizing the bridge, inhibiting this physical movement,  leaves
some sound to be heard from the board.

Seems to me like neither theory is adequate to fully explain the sound producing
mechanisms in the system since neither seems to exclude the other. In fact one
might say that neither could function at all without the other.

Take for example the rock in the pond illustrated presented in this discussion to
clarify this buisness about soundboard ripples. A rock is dropped into the pond
and we see surface ripples. Brilliant... but what was completely overlooked was
the fact that there are a lot of things going on under the surface at the same
time.  If these things did not exist... neither could the ripples, not just
because obviously the cause of both would be missing, but because the two
phenemena are co-dependant and support and reflect each other... they are
actually the same thing really, its just that on the one hand the surface ripple
is at the border between two medium, air and water....whereas the "rest" of the
wave is traveling through the water and will do so until either its energy is
dispersed completely and lost or it meets some other end point which either will
absorbe it or reflect it back.

In any case... it would seem to me that neither of the theories presented is
sufficient alone to be the basis of any good working model of the panel. Tho
either may have their uses as a particular perspective.

just further pondering.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.