Query

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:03:58 -0500

>Hi List,
>
>While working in the shop, I took out my old 33rpm recordings and
>this brought up a question. I was listening to a recording of Lois
>Shapiro playing "Les valses nobles et sentimentales" (Maurice
>Ravel). This recording was made in France in 1976 on a "Mark Allen"
>concert grand. Have any of you heard about this particular brand of
>pianos. Was there many made? I've been wondering about this piano
>for a while now and thought of asking this knowledgable List.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Marcel Carey

Marcel,

I have heard of this guy.  Chick Corea did a few recordings on his
piano(s) .  I remember reading an article back in the late seventies
about him but I don't remember specifics.  I found here on one of
Corea's albums "The piano I'm playing on these volumes is a unique
instrument.  It is a prototype concert grand piano built
single-handedly by Mark Allen.  Mark Allen, with this instrument, has
established a new level of excellence and quality in the making of a
grand piano.  The piano far surpasses any other I've played - it
responded with ease to every way I touched it.  What a pleasure!"

I would also be curious to hear what happened to Allen and his piano.
Anybody else know anything?

chris
--
-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.