Piano Rims (rambling post)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 21:09:49 0000

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:49:08
 Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>> Also, slightly off the subject, but do you think a
>> heavier plate in this area or a rib on top of the
>> plate could as effectively do the same thing as the
>> nosebolt?
>
>I don't think so, but I've not tried it. Nor am I going to. I'm trying to
>get excessive mass out of the piano, not putting it in. If a well-placed
>(and relatively light weight) wood brace is effective, I'm not going to add
>more iron.

Holes in soundboards bother me.  They are good places for cracks to
start, or in the case of a laminated soundboard, a good place for delaminations
to start.  Hence the questions about eliminating the nosebolt.

>As time goes on I find myself coming closer and closer to the notion of a
>hinged-edge diaphragm configuration. Our soundboards are functionally very
>near that now. And my new 200 cm grand design is even closer.
>
>Del

I guess I'll get to see what you mean when I get to see one of these pianos.

Phil F

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html