Stein grand unique board was: Piano Rims.

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 21:13:48 0000

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:33:24
 Erwinspiano wrote:
>I recently saw a Charles Fredrick Stein built in
>Chicago in the golden years. This piano was 6ft. 3 ish and beautifully
>rebuilt and refinished by Bob And Marcia Davis of Stockton Ca.
>       The Original belly system was a clamped edge system only on the belly
>rail and near the first highest rib on the curve as I recall. The rest of the
>system consisted of the ribs glued on top of the inner rim ( not morticed in
>as usual) with the board glued to n the ribs as usual but not to the rim.
>Basically a free edge more or less.  Dumfounded was I at the rich sining tone
>and broad dynamics. It made me think of your (Dels) description of tonal
>range/dynamics in the pp area and the power generated by a strong fundamental
>in the forte ranges. No clang and bang just wonderful musical power and
>sustain.
>    (Bob/Marcia  jump in here and add or correct anything I'm forgetting.)
>
>            Happy Old/New year to all
>            Dale Erwin

Dale,
You seem to see some interesting pianos.  Were the ribs thinned down at
the rim as usual?

Phil F

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html