Guitar makers (was Piano Rims (rambling post))

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 21:26:21 0000

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:01:33
 Ron Overs wrote:

>Since you mention guitars, there are a couple of interesting local
>luthiers who are gaining the attention of the guitar world. Greg
>Smallman is making guitars with a cutoff across the 'waist line' of
>the belly - the lower section only is active belly.
>
>Central to Greg Smallman's design philosophy is the use of an
>ultra-thin wooden top that is intended to project more efficiently
>the sound of the strings. To this end he has abandoned the
>traditional strutting under the guitar's top, and in its place uses a
>flexible criss-cross "lattice" strutting made from balsa wood
>reinforced with carbon fiber.

>The backs and sides of the Smallman guitar are unusually heavy and
>are pressed from laminated rosewood [this particular Rosewood is an
>Australian rain-forest species with similar density and strength to
>Hard Maple] reduce the amount of energy that might otherwise be
>absorbed from the top, yet again enhancing the guitar's projection.
>
>Bernard Richardson, an expert in guitar acoustics who lectures at the
>Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Wales
>Cardiff, explains elsewhere in his book how Smallman's designs
>increase the all-important stiffness-to-mass ratio of the soundboard
>but keep the vibrating mass low, which permits an increase in sound
>radiation. "Whether it is intentional or not, Smallman employs very
>sensible engineering and acoustical principles to add stiffness but
>reduce mass, which is exactly which is required," says Richardson.
>

>Another interesting and committed Sydney luthier is Gerard Gilet.
>Gerard makes an acoustic guitar of his own design with a substantial
>bent rim supporting the belly. Sting purchased a Gilet guitar during
>a recent visit to Sydney. These are serious instruments worthy of
>further investigation. Gerard's website can be found at;
>
>http://www.giletguitars.com.au/
>
>Happy new year to all,
>
>Ron O

Ron,
Thanks for the references.  I'm acquainted with Smallman's name.  I saw
an article about him and his guitars.  His braces combining wood and
composites are very interesting.  I didn't realize that he uses a heavy rim.
I'm not familiar with Gilet.   I'll check out the websites.  It seems that it's
not true that all guitar makers think a thin or flexible rim is the way to go.
On the subject of guitars, since you provided me with some links, I'll give
you one that you might find interesting:

http://www.garrisonguitars.com/

These guitars are made in Canada (Newfoundland I think).  They were designed
by a fellow I think named Griffiths.  The bracing, kerfing, etc. is all injection molded
as one piece in composite of some sort.  Interesting idea (to me at least).

Phil F

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html