Polyurethane Finishes - on products

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:38:23 +0100

Hello,

I just called to find some black dye, and find what is called here NIGROSIN,
it is alcohol soluble, and is sold by small 20 g quantity, price €9.37 . I
will forward you some if you wish. It is a "fushine"

The Furniclass we found is actually made in France in 2 quality (no additive
tint) blond and clear.
The price is high : 38.42 € litre.

The London firm stopped the fabrication once told me .

> All the German pianos I have restored (and that's hundreds) have been
> French-polished and most of them well.  I think the best polishing
> was done in England from about 1840 onwards and Broadwood probably  had
the best polishers ever.  Erard, with his factory in London,  would also
have benefited from this, though Erard's ébénisterie was
> superlative and never matched by Broadwood.

Sure that the Brodwood are very nice pianos.

> Pumice has always been used in England in the piano trade for the "glass"
or "German" finish and at other stages in the work also.
> use pumice during the "bodying up" process, when a harder, drier rubber is
used.  At each "dipping up", or recharging, of the rubber, > some pumice is
sprinkled in the sole of the wadding.

In French "recharger le tampon"

> I think that is equivalent to the burnishing creams I use, which may
> be more traditional but probably have similar effective ingredients
> -- old ale, vinegar etc. :-)

I forget to mention the most important product used , is what we call "elbow
oil" ;>)

> I'd love to get some more of that liquid or find out what they put in
> it. May be one of the chemist (I talk with them sometime) will be kind
enough to tell me a formula (?)

> >Last but not last, have you a good source of bushing actually , Jahn have
> >only 1.3 and 1.6 mm quality, Renner only 1.2, Kluge actually
> uses only 1.2
> >mm from Renner and I don't have any good source for quality pure wool
> >bushing felts. Is Fletcher Ok (I guess ....)
>
> Fletcher or Heckscher should have more sizes.  All these cloths used
> to be made in England and probably still are, but nothing is quite
> what it was.  I'll have a look in the catalogs tomorrow.  I only use
> the English suppliers for a few things because their prices are just
> incredible.  I get most things from Danielsen in Denmark.  Meyne is
> good but expensive.

I've seen strips of felt bushing from Baumgartel today, it is not as the
good traditional "casimir" (you know that reddish felt we used in the army
to make the "zouaves" pants) , but it seems Ok for bushing work.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG