The definition of "Resonance"

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 21:42:29 EST

Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no (Richard Brekne) writes:

> >>    "  DEFINITION: Resonance is the process in which oscillations in a
>> system are produced, maintained or enhanced by means of a periodic
>> transfer of energy from another oscillating system, whose frequency is
>> identical to that of the first system. NOTE : True resonance requires the
>> presence of either two coupled oscillating systems (such asa the two
>> carts), or one oscillating system and an incoming wave(such as the two
>> tunning forks) with matching frequencies of vibration. There are
>> situations when the energy is supplied continuously, but the oscillating
>> system only accepts energy in periodic pulses by other processes such as
>> auto-excitation or positive feed-back (to be discussed later) that mimic

Richard, those are the GEEK definitions of "Resonance".  Send your post to
that "Tuning" list, they'll eat that stuff up.  I loved the equation in all
Greek letters near the end of that site.  It gives new energy to the old
expression, "It's all Greek to me!".

I prefer the School of Liberal Arts definition (but don't be fooled, I've
been a Registered Republican for 31 years) :  "the intensification and
enriching of a musical tone by supplementary vibration".

For a more expanded experience along these lines, see the article in my
website called, "The True Meaning of *Well Tempered Tuning*", also, "How to
Tune *Tempered Octaves*.

*Resonance* (and since it is a noun, I sometimes pluralize it) is (are)
nothing more than the *Rapid Beats* or *Vibrato* like sound that you hear
when a sustained chord on the piano is played.  A piano in ET does have a
certain characteristic resonance but what I do with temperament and octaves
is to organize what is available in an alignment with the Cycle of 5ths.
This has true historical precedent whereas the result of ET and the most
typical way of tuning octaves today are only a recently developed pattern
with no connection whatsoever to mode, key signature or tonality.  It gets
even worse when the piano is tuned in Reverse Well.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin