WN&G Action

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:24:03 EST

Terry,

I cut my teeth tuning wise on Ivers & Pond uprights, as they were made only
150 miles from where I grew up.  They always had Wessell, Nickel & Gross
actions.

The  WN&G octagonal logo on all upright actions was stamped on the hammer
rail at the left end, and was bigger than the available viewable space and so
ran in behind the jacks.  The words, "Wessell, Nickel & Gross" then appeared
on the let-off rail at the bass-tenor break, again running in behind action
parts.   The Ivers & Pond people were funny about giving credit and always
covered those words with a celluloid piece inscribed "Ivers & Pond Piano Co."

My second grade teacher lived two houses up from us.  Once when I was home
from college on vacation she asked me to tune her Ivers & Pond upright.  As I
opened it up, she said, "Let me know when you get to the place where you move
it out from the wall, so I can clean behind it!"  I didn't have the heart to
tell her that was not part of the job.  Those were solidly built pianos and
heavy!

Bill Maxim

In a message dated 1/4/02 12:32:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Speaking of Ivers & Pond and Aeolean, I tuned my first Ivers & Pond grand
> the other day. I was all excited when I saw Ivers & Pond on the plate.
> Piano looked in real good shape also. Then I removed the fallboard to fix a
> sticking damper. I noticed the greenish newish looking jacks and green
> monster looking hammers. Then I saw the date stamped on the hammer rail.
> 1974. An Aeolian. What a wretched piano. Asolutely just slopped together. I
> guess I still have not serviced an Ivers & Pond. Maybe someday.
>
> What a cruel trick.
>
> Terry Farrell

Bill Maxim
Maxim Piano Service