for those who know classical piano

Mickey Kessler mickeykes@znet.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:04:08 -0800

I've been offering my services as a tuner/tech to friends and family so as
to build my skills before I actually start charging.  A few days ago I got
a call from a friend of my cousin, who told me she had an old upright that
her husband, a contractor, recently got in lieu of cash for some
job.  Nobody in the house plays, she said, but when it was delivered she
ran next door and asked her neighbor, whom she described as a "professional
pianist" to come play it and tell her if it was okay.  "When he played it,
it was beautiful, of course," she explained.

I went over today.  An upscale neighborhood of Los Angeles, near Griffith
Park.  The instrument needs lots and lots of work the action's a mess and
it's missing two strings, but I was fine about that because I badly need
the experience.  The lady told me more about her neighbor, the professional
pianist who played it the day it was delivered and made it sound so
good.  "He goes all over the world and plays," she said. "I don't know
anything about classical music, but it sounded great.  He's like famous or
something.  He really lives in France where he's got like three houses, but
when he's in L.A he lives next door with some other guys who are
musicians.  He always wears red socks."

I gaped at her.  Yeah.  Her neighbor is Jean-Yves Thibeaudet.

When I finished work (a long story) she told me to wait because she had to
run outside for something.  I waited, played with her kids for a few
minutes.  She came back, breathless, and presented me with a Denon CD of
Thibeaudet playing Liszt.  It's unreleased in America, she was told by his
housemates, who gave it to her to give to me (he's on tour,
evidently).  She said they apologized profusely that they didn't have an
autographed copy for me.

What a job, huh?

Mickey Kessler