GH1request................

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 07:13:31 -0600

Jim,   2 or 3 years ago I had this same problem with a GH1B and querried
the group.  Many of the responses were the same as now, rescaling.  But
there were some other brilliant suggestions given to check to see what
was actually causing the tone problems.  Check the hammers by replacing
the offending ones with slightly higher ones.  Seat the strings.  I'm
sure you've done those things, but there was one more thing that actually
caused most of the problem.  I carefully observed what the damper was
doing.  Found that the damper was lifting unevenly, and wa slightly
tipped toward the front.  The hammer was hitting the damper just before
it left the strings.  With adjustment, the sound of those  strings inthat
low tenor improved immensely.  There is the problem with the scale, but
you may find that some damper adjustment and voicing will make the tone
better than just passible.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 07:48:35 EST JIMRPT@AOL.COM writes:
> Et Al;
>  I have a good customer who has a verrrrrry nice sounding GH1,
> probably the
> best sounding 5 foot thingee I have heard in a long time. Nice
> 'clear' treble
> and singing bass, ect. . Of course the fly in the ointment is the
> break,
> notably the C & B plain wire notes..........no new news there huh?
> :-(
>
>  I have discussed the problem with my customer at length and told
> him of the
> mixed results I have had with the bi-chord
> modifications......................
>  My request is that some of you'ns what am done this modification
> share your
> thoughts on the outcomes of your jobs and whether you think it was
> worthwhile
> doing........ I intend to share these replies with the customer so
> be gentle
> with me! :-)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Bill Schlipf