Epoxy

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:03:29 -0500

Hi Carl. My info is that elevated curing temperatures can tend to weaken =
the cured epoxy. It would concern me to heat bridge pins. It may not be =
a valid concern as I'm sure the heat is dissipated rather quickly. I =
have always found West System to be thin enough to wick into all =
birdseye cracks around bridge pins - when the pin are removed. I'm sure =
it would be nice to have an even thinner epoxy - although, I wonder if =
it would be as convenient to apply - the thicker West System holds a =
nice drop on a wire or on the bridge pin base for application! What is =
the strength characteristics of the Epotec301? Is it as strong/hard as =
West System resin? Do you have a web site for Epotec301?

Oh, and BTW: Just sent out an old Fisher upright with a completely =
rebuilt action and a VERY nicely leveled set of keys!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Carl Meyer=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 7:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Epoxy

  NSIP

  Epotec301 is expensive since it is optical grade.  I'm waiting for a =
spec sheet for clear coat, but I think it is similar to liquid wood.

  There may be other qualities of epoxy that will enhance penetration, =
but I would think viscosity would be the primary one.
  Warming the pinblock, bridge or other items helps a great deal.  A lot =
of spec sheets don't list viscosity, hardness and other parameters and =
there is no easy way to compare. =20

  Still learning all I can about epoxy!!

  Regards

  Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG