Learning: was Violin

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:48:37 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Richard,
> >McFerrin gives you a fine and authoritative formula for computing string
> >inharmonicity. Compute for me please, using that formula, the inharmonicity
> >of a B-1 string with 0.037" diameter core, and 0.093" total outer diameter
> >of the wrapped section.
> >
> >Ron N
>
> My apologies, that's a B-1 string 1238mm in length.
> Ron N

Ok Ron... Assuming a frequency of 61,74 Hz for B1, converting 0.037" to 0.94mm,
and just taking the McFerrin formula as it is you get

(3.4 * 10^11 * 0.94)/(61,74^2 * 123,8^4) = 0.34 for your Inharmonicity
coeficient.

I havent found the mail I wanted to share about calculating for hex vs round
core, which also had that discussion about why using this formular for bass
strings was considered suspect if I remember correctly, but  I did find another
posting from that discussion tho which was interesting enough.. I will translate
the whole thing in another post from the Danish.

But in that Danish posting was given nearly the same thing to the McFerrin
formula along with a justification for using it for Bass strings. I also bumbed
into a posting you sent to the PTG list a while back with the McFerrin formula
and another one that you had used some weeks hunting down for us all.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.