etd for inharmonicity

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 07:22:47 -0800

what do I really want the machine for, you ask. I am not at all interested
in saving time on a pitch raise. I'm fascinated by the math of the string
physics, and I know that there is a degree of guesswork in aural tuning,
caused by inharmonicity, that the machine can help with. Aurally, I am often
uncertain which partial to use for a given octave, and even if I set the
temperament with beautifully progressing thirds and sixths, there is usually
a discontinuity in thirds and sixths progressing below the temperament
octave. So i look forward to using the machine to refine my accuracy.

Sheldon was indeed a very fast aural tuner. he regularly scheduled six
tunings a day. the first maxim he gave me as his apprentice was that there
is no conflict between speed and accuracy. he would tune the whole piano
once just to get all the tensions approximately right, then tune again to
get each note right.

 jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799