Clicking Baldwin/let off

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:25:44 EST

In a message dated 1/7/02 10:27:10 PM Central Standard Time,
adams_piano@hotmail.com writes:

> Sure
> enough, each hammer clicked as it approached the string, when the jack was
> engaging.

I had this happen on a newer Baldwin Studio. What was happening was the
hammer butt spring was moving from one little grove in the butt to another
little grove. I don't know how or why this came to be, but when I removed the
hammer and sanded the grove where the spring sits, and eliminated the little
groves in there, the problem was solved. You might need to pull the action,
or if anything, try to remove one hammer, and see if that is indeed the
problem. However, if the customer is happy with the way the piano plays with
10 mm of let off, I would leave well enough alone.

Wim