Stein grand unique board

Tue, 8 Jan 2002 07:55:50 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 08, 2002 7:03 AM
  Subject: Re: Stein grand unique board

   Del=20
  I was trying to respond to your last post and hit he delete on your =
message,If you see this could you repost it for me.=20
        Thanks---Dale Erwin=20

Dale,

If it's not this one then it's gone to the great ether hole in the sky:
  I'll point out once again that the pond analogy is not a very good =
one. These are surface waves while the motion of the soundboard--at =
least the motion that is creating sound energy is quite different. The =
system is vibrating as a unified whole.

      Perhaps Phil Ford and  Charles Fredrick Stein  has a valid point =
that we should consider the reflective wave as of lesser importance, =
though not unimportant, when designing a soundboard system, apparently =
Charles did.=20
          As Del has said the soundboard system functions as system and =
what we seem to be doing here is  consider the various individual =
component aspects as to there contribution to sound production as a =
system. Seems to me like a healthy thing for a think tank to do.=20
  As long as there is any vibrations felt in the rim there are =
associated energy losses from the soundboard. Whether you view this as =
energy not reflected back into the soundboard or as energy losses from =
the soundboard to a less than perfectly massive and rigid rim is =
irrelevant--it is still reducing the sustain time of the system.=20

       Another thought that occurs to me is, that however the listener =
would describe the overall sound of the Stein system, that sound will =
have to be partially  ascribed to the lack of reflected energy from the =
rim on the straight side and curved side of the rim even though we can't =
dissect or isolate it. Alas another mystery.=20
  How would you describe the function of those relatively thick ribs =
that--unless I completely mis-read your description of them--remain =
solidly glued to the inner rim?

           Also perhaps the fact that all the end grain of the =
soundboard panel is terminated at the belly rail, which as Del pointed =
out, adds all the stiffness the trebles require to function. Afterall =
sound travels along the grain faster than across. My deduction from all =
this is that the tail end of the piano is not as drastically compromised =
by having a pseudo free floating edge around the majority of its =
perimeter.=20
  And I would suggest that this is not even close to being a pseudo =
free-floating soundboard system. Free-floating means free-floating as in =
not attached to the rim in any way. And those ribs being glued to the =
inner rim are not at all free-floating. Nor is the soundboard system as =
long as the soundboard panel remains glued to those ribs.=20

  Del