Sound Propagation

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:52:31 +0000

At 9:16 AM +0100 1/9/02, Richard Brekne wrote:

>But ok... since you seem to be taking the discussion away from the means
>of energy transfer from the strings to the bridge, and moving it towards
>how sound emanates from the already exited soundboard. Why dont you
>describe your understandings of this in more detail. The phrase "radiate
>acoustic energy" for example.... thats a little vague on the surface of
>it...

Its certainly on the surface of something, but vague it aint, except,
of course, in French -- vague=wave -- in which case yes, but it's a
lot of little vagues on the surface of it, or rather, radiating
_from_ the surface of it.

See my reply to Philip
Re: Stress waves (was violin bridge) 2:53 PM +0000 8/1/02

and have a look at the references I gave, too.  It is important to
use proper terminology.

How clear is your mental picture of the three states of matter?  If
you have no picture of the relationship between the particles
constituting a solid body, then we need to give you one, or you need
to get out a book of school physics.  I can write you two or three
paragraphs as an outline if you like.  Without a basic understanding
of the structure of matter it is impossible to discuss sound
propagation.  I tried to give a one-dimensional analogy with my rod
of magnets but a 3D analogy could also be given.

JD