Square Piano

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 05:58:29 -0500

Well now, that's worded pretty strongly.  I admit I've never worked on
one, and I never intend to.  I don't think I've ever seen one in good
working condition, which might be interesting.  The last one I saw was
in the lobby of a motel in Cape May, and they didn't want anyone to
touch it.

I find them interesting, with their fancy carved cases and all, and I
think we should keep a couple good examples around if for no other
reason than their place in the history of the development of the piano.

As far as their not working very well, every week some pianos I work on
are far from stellar.  My general philosophy is that if the piano meets
the needs of the owner, that's the most important criterion.  There are
a few that are so far gone that I recommend replacement and tell them
that to spend any more money on the piano is throwing money out the
window.

Regards,
Clyde