Square Grand/Robert Goodale

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:58:37 -0500

Joe, I have not played a well-restored square, so I don't know their full
potential. However, I have played a few squares with the standard
"rebuild" - new strings and new keytops. They have not had much power (but
plenty for a living room!), but they have generally had a very pleasing
mellow sound - way, way better than little spinets, etc. I know that is not
saying much, but it does say that on the whole, they sound a lot better than
many, if not most, pianos in peoples homes!

Please tell me, to whatever extent that can be expressed in words, what
their potential is. Keep in mind, I am talking about one with a good board,
properly rebuilt action, etc. What are good/bad points of their sound, i.e.,
where are they commonly weak/strong. Folks joke about their action, but
again, I have found them to play much better than many spinets (I know, I
know, but we are talking about a piece of interesting furniture that can
make music!). What are the playing characteristics of a good square.

I think folks also need to keep in mind how many crud spinets there are out
there. We tune them. People play them regularly. Squares can be an extremely
attractive center-piece for a living room. And I think (please comment Joe)
that when they are in proper playing shape (properly/thoroughly rebuilt)
they can make a VERY satisfactory elementary-level instrument. Many are
horrified at subjecting a youngster to practicing on an old square grand,
but we all know exactly the condition of most old squares. I am talking here
of squares that are functioning at like-new level.

Thoughts Joe? Thanks.

Terry Farrell