Yamaha Voicing

Don drpt@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 09:05:09 -0600

Hi Terry,

I think voicing is the last step in a long road. It would appear you have
not yet even seen the instrument. I'm sure that if I asked my potential
clients on the phone if their instruments had ever been regulated that they
would have no idea what I was talking about. Our educators (teachers) fail
to mention this aspect of service. Bottom line--do everything else first
and you may find voicing is a minor issue.

At 09:07 AM 1/9/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I will be voicing a 15 year old mid-sized Yamaha grand in a couple weeks. I
>am very much a beginner in voicing. The owner complains that it is "not as
>mellow as it was before". I'm looking for any general do's and don't
>regarding Yamaha hammers. I will likely be using some light steaming as a
>first step aimed at general brightness reduction.
>
>The owner also complains of the "upper register" being quieter than the rest
>of the piano. I asked if it was most noticeable in the 5th or 6th octave.
>She said yes. So I realize this may largely be a soundboard problem, and I
>will measure soundboard shape and downbearing to evaluate that. But even if
>it is a soundboard problem, I doubt she is ready today to put in a new
>board. What if anything can be done to at least partially improve this area.
>
>Thanks for any guideance.
>
>Terry Farrell

Regards,

mailto:drpt@sk.sympatico.ca