Water damage

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:53:28 EST

List,

I need your advice!!

An insurance company had me look at a Wurlitzer 36" spinet, model 1176,
cherry finish, the right end of which sat on a wet carpet. The end panel
(particle board) swelled for the eight or ten inches above the floor, and
damaged the veneer. The customer bought the piano in 1996, from a Baldwin
Factory Direct sale.

Questions:

Is this model, or a similar one still available, new?
Did/ does Baldwin own Wurlitzer?
If so, would this piano have been made in Baldwin factories, or in separate
Baldwin-owned Wurlitzer factory?
Any way of finding out if there is even a remote chance of finding such a
case part as the end panel/arm?

As I see it, the insurance company has at least five choices:
Pay whatever it costs to replace the case end, if available.
Pay him the replacement cost of the piano, and take the piano.
Pay him the original cost, less depreciation, and take the piano.
Pay him the current value, take the piano.
Pay him a negotiated settlement for the sudden loss of current value, and let
him keep the piano.

What can you tell me?
Thanks,
Bob Davis