Terry/Yamaha Voicing

Wed, 09 Jan 2002 21:21:08 +0100

Joseph Garrett wrote:

>  Terry,
> (Hmm?, I seem to be doing a lot of talking to you)<G>
> In order to do a proper evaluation of voicing, (on any piano), you need to
> make sure that the piano is in tune, in GOOD regulation and all mechanical
> aspects are up to specs. Then and only then should "voicing" be attempted.
> Alot of what Roger talks about, addresses these very considerations. I agree
> with Roger.
> >From what you described, it sounds like a recondioning of the action,
> (especially action center gram resistance!), is in order. Then a full
> regulation, string seating, leveling, damper timing, yada, yada. (You know
> the drill).
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Well guys... all that is definantly true and most of us have underlined the need
for real good regulation and hammer shaping and the rest before the proverbial
needle gets sat. That being said the chances for a Yamaha grand under any kind
of reasonable to heavy use needing a touch up voicing are pretty high by my
experience. Hammers do get packed in... or what ?

Terry, if you do find yourself in the position of needing to break out the
needles, and please do take all the great advices you have gotten from the
family real serious, get in touch with our freind Antares in Holland about some
good advice about needling. This fellow has some very impressive credentials and
his advice is well worth listening to. If you need his email address let me know
and I will get it to you.

RicB
--
Richard Brekne