Broads

Wed, 09 Jan 2002 21:13:21 +0100

Carl Meyer wrote:

> Richard,  Several years ago I made a crown checker by taking a 2 foot length
> of 1 x 2 lumber, drilling a hole thru the two ends and middle across the
> piece (perpendicular to the 2 foot length and parallel to the 2 inch
> dimension.  Use three 6-8 inch pieces of brass or steel threaded rod (8-32
> or so).  With two nuts put the rods at the ends sticking down  and the
> center one with two wing nuts.  Now set it on your table saw or other flat
> surface and adjust the center for a straight line from end to end.  Now you
> have a rocker gauge like the small one used to check down bearing only
> larger.  Use this to check crown at any convenient spots.  Don't have to lay
> on your back, either.
> Now you have some idea of crown with the strings still on.
>
> Regards
>
> Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
> Santa Clara, California
> cmpiano@attbi.com

Now thats a neat idea Carl. But on this instrument you cant really acess about a
third of the length of the soundboard underneath. You can barely get you arm in
there under the right side where the "plate".  Still, I'll have another look
tommorrow and see if this would work. In any case I'd have to check off the ribs
as they criss cross each other.

And in anycase... I am not really sure whether this instrument was made with any
real crown to begin with, and if so, how much ?

Neat old job tho... going to be fun to see what I can get out of it.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.