Pitch Raise Experiment

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:25:21 -0800 (PST)

I think we
> needn't be shy about
> attempting to raise the pitch of an older (and
> otherwise sound) instrument
> to standard pitch.
>
> Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,

Nonwithstanding your tests I think I would be very shy
about bringing 100 year old pianos with original
strings up to A440 and putting extra tension on an old
instrument which never stood at that pitch even when
new.  You might succeed in getting the pitch up and
without breaking strings if you are lucky but it would
not stand well even after 2 or 3 subsequent tunings.

Very few pianos get past 70 years without needing a
complete refit and those that are not rebuilt are
never terribly satisfactory, especially if they have
been neglected and the pitch allowed to drop really
low.

Your tests were very interesting.  I feel that if you
applied your tests to some of the pianos I encounter
they might break much sooner!!

Best wishes,

Bob Wilson
London.