Training/Apprenticeships London, UK

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:32:37 -0800 (PST)

--- AlanRMorrison@AOL.COM wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I wonder if any of you can help.  I live in London
> and am looking for a
> technician or workshop willing to give me some
> training and experience
> rebuilding pianos.  I am thirty years old with a
> background as a pianist.  I
> have a degree in music (for what it's worth) and
> presently work as a
> freelance music copyist.  I'm basically looking for
> a change of direction
> which is fulfilling even if it won't make me rich!
>
> It seems that the training options here in the UK
> are somewhat limited.  For
> the time being, I'm less interested in earning a
> living tuning pianos and
> more interested in getting experience doing
> restoration work which I feel is
> best learned in a workshop.  I am looking for
> experience more than I am
> looking for paid work.
>
> Does anyone out there know of a good technician or
> workshop in or around
> London who might be able to give me some
> encouragement or advice?
>
> I follow the list with much interest and wish that I
> could find the same
> level of helpfulness and enthusiasm from people here
> in the UK as there is in
> the US and other parts of the world.  Maybe I've
> been talking to the wrong
> people :)
>
> Any encouragement would be welcome!
>

> Alan Morrison

Hello Alan,

You might have noticed that there are very few piano
workshops now here in London.  You may be luckier
outside - but have you thought of doing a course at
the London College of Furniture?  The courses cover
all aspects of piano technology.  It is a sad fact
that since Victorian times when there were more that
200 manufacturers of pianos in this country that there
are barely a handful left.

Bob Wilson
London.