Wim/Pitch raise experiment

Don drpt@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:11:18 -0600

Hi Wim,

I have to disagree. We do have to consider the piano, but it is not our job
to decide the customer's ability to pay. It is quite possible with today's
tools (RCT SAT and TLP) to do a single pass pitch correction and have the
piano's tuning dramatically improved and at or near A440. True, it will not
be terribly stable--but atleast the instrument will be on the path to the
correct pitch.

I've never seen a perfect piano by the way. *grin*

At 12:25 AM 1/10/02 -0500, you wrote:

>This concept that ALL pianos HAVE to be at 440 is ridiculous. I think we
>have to consider the piano, and the customer's ability to pay. A piano
>doesn't have to be perfect to satisfy us. What is also important is our
>consideration for the customer. Before we make any attempt at making a
>piano perfect, we should asses the economic condition of the customer. I
>get the feeling some of you take an approach that how well you can make the
>piano play and sound is more important than the customer's ability to pay.
>I am not saying we should do the best job we can, but before doing any
>work, we need to get the customer approval.
>
>As I mentioned before, if the customer insists on doing the pitch raise,
>and making the repairs, I take a soft sell approach. I evaluate the
>economic condition of the customer by making some inquiries about their
>life. Nothing personal, but sometimes a simple question about what she does
>for a living, what her husband does, etc., will tell you a lot.
>
>Yes, Greg, a piano sounds great up to pitch. But is it worth it to relish
>in how good the piano sounds, when the customer had to sacrifice buying
>food, or clothing?
>
>Wim

Regards,

mailto:drpt@sk.sympatico.ca