Soft iron knot?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:55:20 EST

Ric writes:
<<  I  heard that in the old days, spare strings were sent with the
instrument.  Surprised this tradition is was not kept.   I would determine
the tension,  measure the wires around it,  consult with the maker and
probably end up moving  down a size.<

   The spares had been used long before. This was an out of town gig, I had
expected them to have all the necessary, etc.... And have you ever tried to
tell an authentic instrument maker to change scale??

>>Did you try a square knot?

  Yes, didn't work.
>> And I would guess the square knot
might be less stressful to the iron wire.    The modern knot, is it a sheep
shank? has sharper bends in it than the square knot. >>

 I used the double bight,  I used the sheet-bend, and square.  (sheep shank
isn't in the my repertoire as a wire knot.
   Glad it is over, the project did get completed. (but lemme tell all of
y'all, there IS money in non-ET work!!)
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT