Wim/Pitch raise experiment

Dale Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:00:26 -0600

Wim,
Have to disagree with you here. If  a piano technician is just entering
the trade and is short on funds does the piano supply company have the
duty or even the right to decide he/she can't afford the best tuning
hammer and should be sold the cheapest student hammer to use until they
can afford to buy the best one? Many people who are not quote musicians
unquote have some since of pitch and will not be encouraged to play on
an instrument that is seriously flat.
That's my view and since,in my opinion, you can't afford a better one
you are stuck with it!
Humorously,
Dale

Dale Probst
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 11:25 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Wim/Pitch raise experiment

This concept that ALL pianos HAVE to be at 440 is ridiculous. I think we
have to consider the piano, and the customer's ability to pay. A piano
doesn't have to be perfect to satisfy us. What is also important is our
consideration for the customer. Before we make any attempt at making a
piano perfect, we should asses the economic condition of the customer. I
get the feeling some of you take an approach that how well you can make
the piano play and sound is more important than the customer's ability
to pay. I am not saying we should do the best job we can, but before
doing any work, we need to get the customer approval.

As I mentioned before, if the customer insists on doing the pitch raise,
and making the repairs, I take a soft sell approach. I evaluate the
economic condition of the customer by making some inquiries about their
life. Nothing personal, but sometimes a simple question about what she
does for a living, what her husband does, etc., will tell you a lot.

Yes, Greg, a piano sounds great up to pitch. But is it worth it to
relish in how good the piano sounds, when the customer had to sacrifice
buying food, or clothing?

Wim