A request from Chile

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:23:24 -0500

Fernando from Chile mentioned that some Yamaha guy had already addressed
friction in the action. I would suggest that a second opinion might always
be worthwhile. Not every tech does everything properly. Someone else
mentioned key pin/bushing friction. I have found this to often be a major
source of friction.

Fernando, you seem to be very aware of at least elementary concepts of the
action. Have you done a friction analysis? DownWeight - UpWeight = Friction?
If you have a decent set of weights (perhaps you could even borrow one from
someone in your area - any sort of lab should have them - a school,
university, dental lab, etc. - any place that does basic chemistry work - or
even make your own if you can get access to a scale +/- 0.1 gram) you could
evaluate the friction component for yourself. Its pretty easy to do. Me, or
about 87 others more qualified than me would be happy to walk you through
it.

I think it is very important to get an absolute handle on friction -
especially because the Yamaha actions tend to be so very uniform in their
manufacture. It lessens the likelihood that there are significant geometry
problems with the action.

Proper application of the Stanwood stuff will solve geometry troubles and
weight troubles. It will also give you wonderfully consistent touchweight
across the keyboard from his hammer weighting and keyweighting methods. You
can also largely dial in the touchweight you want.

BUT. If your action does not have geometry troubles, or if your keys do not
have too much lead in them, or if your hammers are not too heavy (none of
which are common in Yamaha actions (?right?)), the Stanwood stuff will have
little effect on your action - except to even things out.

I highly recommend that you satisfy yourself that friction is not a problem
with your action. Can you do this yourself (all you need to do is measure
how much weight is required to push the key down and up)? Can you find a
local tech that can do this? If you can find the weights, I am happy to walk
you through the procedures.

If friction is still a problem, knuckle lubrication, center pin lubrication,
repinning, key easing, etc. is cheap, easy, and would save you a lot of
hassle trying to ship actions to the US, or a tech down to Chile!

Terry Farrell