Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:29:54 -0600

>I suppose that one could infer that the holes in the bridge act the same as
>the f-holes in the top. I.E. they act as "reflectors".

Hi Don, Maybe one could, but I don't choose to. Beyond the action of the
strings moving the bridge, which moves the soundboard, as in a piano, I'm
not much interested in burning brain cells learning about how violins work.
I don't have that many left. We do however have a posted statement that the
bridge holes are to increase the distance the sound has to travel in the
bridge, rather than as impedance control as I suggested. Since that's
between the string and soundboard, a statement like that ought to be due an
explanation, wouldn't you think? I'd sure like to see one of these claims
backed up with facts at least once in a while instead of being ignored
expecting them to go away.

Ron N