square grand

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:52:07 -0500

Sarah,

I reckon it's Hallet & Davis, a known name.  I'm not aware that there ever
was a Ballet namebrand of any kind.

Pricing a used piano of any type is tricky business.  A piano may have a
"book value" of considerably more, or less, than a buyer is willing to pay.
Some factors to consider are type (grand, console, spinet, etc.), initial
quality and craftsmanship, current condition, and demand for such a piano, to
mention those things that come first to mind.

Buyers interested in a square grand are likely to be very few or none.  There
is almost no market for such a piano, even if it is in excellent condition,
which is rarely the case, and that will work against you.  So you're probably
looking for that one buyer that is willing to pay more than almost anyone
else will, perhaps because they are fascinated with it as a historical
artifact or they appreciate the elaborate case.

How much to ask for it?  I couldn't even guess, since you said nothing about
its condition.  And even if you did, someone with more experience than I will
be able to respond better.  But don't get your hopes up.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA